Thursday, November 5, 2009

Skylash Interview


A glimpse into the past of Eric Chamberlain, this is a quick interview I did with him back in 1999 for his side-project Skylash for the now defunct newempire.com:


Skylash interview with Eric Chamberlain
by
Evan South
1999

Q: How did the Skylash project develop? Did you already have an idea in mind, or did you have some tracks you didn’t think would fit as Index so you decided to create an offshoot project?

A:This project was always something I wanted to do. None of the tracks here are leftovers from Index.


Q: Is there a common theme to Empyreal Day Dreams?

A: I wanted to compose something that, overall, was very melodic and pretty, through
dark and light moments. As far as topical subject matter, only the listener can draw their
own conclusions.


Q: Was this intended to be instrumental, or did you write the music with possible vocals in mind? The insert states you are looking for a female or male vocalist for Skylash. Did you not want to sing yourself?

A: As above, I wanted people to come up with their own mental/visual interpretation,
rather than having trite lyrics telling people what to think. This was intended to be
instrumental about 90% of the way, but I would like to get some nice vocals on 2-3
tracks for the next album. I prefer not to sing myself here.


Q: What do you want to accomplish with Skylash that you think you might not be able to do with Index? Are you trying to focus in on one sound with Index and let loose with
Skylash?

A: Actually, I’d say it was the other way around, as the next album for Index will be
somewhat different. It’s more about creating an aural landscape on a lot of the new
Index, whereas for Skylash I wanted a project that still focused on melody and feeling.


Q: What other plans do you have for Skylash? Are you already working on new material for that project?

A: I’m really busy now, but I plan to work on it as soon as possible. I’m very motivated for it, and it has gotten a good response, so I want to keep it going.


Q: The Skylash insert also states the new Index album, Ultra Hard Shadow, is upcoming! Is the new album complete? Will it be released before 2000, and what can we expect from the new Index?

A: It’s not quite complete, but very close. It will be mostly instrumental, with a different
sound to it. I feel that I can create something more than the typical electro/industrial
thing, so some of it sounds very different. It’s also the reason why it’s taken so long
to complete, because I keep scrapping songs in favor of new ideas.


Q: Does living in a place like New Mexico help or hinder your musical processes, since
you are isolated from any type of “scene” or undue influnces?

A: You could look at it either way. On the one hand, I could say it’s bad because I can’t keep up with what’s going on, but on the other hand, with what seems popular in the scene these days I’m not sure I want to be exposed to it all. As far as location it hinders me because I have goals, music-wise, and I simply live in the wrong place for what I want.


Q: Do you still work for UPS?

A: No, I don’t work for UPS. I’m in school right now.


Q: Finally Eric, from the song “The Dove” from Black Light Twilight. One thing that
has been bothering me for years... what the hell is a “Drillion”???

A: It’s just a word I made up for the song. Basically I took it to mean a negative motion
to whatever is above us. You can take that however you want.

Q: Final thoughts/comments?

A: Thanks for the interview. The new Index might be out this year, but probably early 2000.

myspace.com/indexai
elcmedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment